Radiochemistry Munich (RCM) is a 'Zentrale Technisch-Wissenschaftliche Betriebseinheit' of the Technical University Munich (TUM) according to art. 19 para. 5 of the 'Bayerischen Hochschulgesetzes (BayHSchG)' and is directly responsible to the university administration. It was founded on 1 January 2011.
Amongst others, RCM has the following duties and responisbilities:
- Performance of practical research and development projects (R&D).
- TUM-internal und TUM-external radiochemical services.
- Mentoring of diploma and PhD students as well as conduction of practical courses.
- Performance of sovereign tasks, entrusted to the TUM by the Free State of Bavaria or the Federal Republic of Germany.
- Operation of the RCM radiation protection areas and maintenance of the existing licenses for handling radioactive substances including the necessary premises protection and assuring the administrative radiation protection.
- Storage of radioactive substances.
- Gathering, treatment and discharge of radioactive wastewater.
- Facility Management for the RCM premises and facilities in co-operation with the 'Technischen Betrieb Garching (TBG)'.